Filipino Vegetarian Foods
Filipino Sisig Banana Blossom Dish
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Meal type||Main Dish|
|Misc||Serve Cold, Serve Hot|
- 2 pieces Banana Blossom
- 4 Large Onions
- 6 pieces Green chili pepper
- 6 pieces Red chili ((labuyo or Taiwan))
- 3 Small Ginger
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1 Pepper to taste
Filipino Eggplant Caviar is a Filipino Dish typically served during special occasions. Its not a common dish but a healthy one! We want to thank the author for submitting this Filipino Dish. Thanks a lot for your post!!
Ingredients needed for the Filipino Eggplant Caviar are:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup onion finely sliced.
- 1 cup green bell pepper finely sliced.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 potato finely sliced.
Procedure to prepare Filipino Eggplant Caviar:
- Broil eggplant until roasted. make sure all parts of eggplant is roasted.
- Remove the skin of the broiled eggplant.
- scrape the eggplant and put it in a big bowl.
- throw away the eggplant skin.
- in a pan, saute onion, garlic until golden brown and the green pepper.
- add the scraped eggplant.
- add tomato.
- mix well to cook
- add oil if its sticky already.
- add salt and pepper to taste.
- put the cooked eggplant caviar in a serving dish.
Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is a favorite Filipino dish among children especially cause of it’s sweet taste. Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is typically served during occasions like birthday parties, Christmas and other special occasions. Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is a fairly easy dish to cook and doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare.
The main ingrediënt needed for the Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad are:
- 250 grams of Elbow Macaroni
- One can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1.5 cups of drained nata de coco (coconut gel)
- One cup of Raisins
- 100 Grams of Cheddar Cheese
- One can of drained Pineapple (500 g)
- One can of drained Fruit Cocktail (500 g)
- One green apple (cubed)
Procedure to prepare Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad:
First bring some water to a cook and place the elbow Macaroni into the pan. Let it boil according to the directions on the package. When done drain the water and rinse the macaroni with cold water and let it cool down for about 20 minutes.
When the macaroni is done place it in a big bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.Mix all the combined ingredients very well and cover the bowl.
Finally place the covered bowl in the fridge for about an hour.
Lastly serve the Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad cold.
- one cup of glutininous rice (sweet rice) flour
- six saba, sliced
- three cups of coconut milk
- cup of water
- 100 g cooked sago pearls
- one camote (sweet potato), cubed
- half cup of white sugar
- one gabi (taro root), cubed
The procedure to prepare this dessert is:
- Mix the rice flour and the water together and blend them well using hands until it gets soft and dough like
- Make them into small balls and place them aside.
- Put the coconut milk in a pan, add some sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Next add the sliced saba, sago, camote gabi and flour balls. let the mix simmer on a reduced heat for another 15 minutes until the whole mixture is properly cooked. When finished place it in a bowl and serve it warm.
Filipino Salabat is a typical Filipino drink made with ginger. The translation of the tagalog word Sabat litteraly means Tea in English. Since Ginger has many health benefits, most filipinos drink Sabat when they’re having fever, soar throat or when it’s cold.
The ingredients needed to prepare the Filipino drink Salabat are:
- 4 pieces of fresh ginger (sliced thin)
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
Find below the procedure for making the Filipino drink Salabat:
- Put all the ingredients in a small pan
- Boil the water including the ingredients for approximately 9-10 min.
- Put the Filipino Salabat in a mug and serve it while it’s hot.
Calamansi is a small lemmon from the Philippines. It is a popular fruit among Filipinos and often used because Calamansi is rich in Vitamin C, phrosphorus, Iron and Calcium and often used to prevent common sicknesses like cold, cough and flu. Typical drinks made with Calamaci are Lemonade and Calamaci Juice cause of it’s taste, aroma and flavor.
Ingredients needed for Calamansi Juice are:
- 3 calamansi
- Ice Cubes
- Cold water
- Sugar or Honey
A Typical way to prepare the Clamansi juice (drink) is:
Cut the calamansi in half and squeeze the juice out of the lemon into a glass. Try to avoid that the seeds of the calamansi will enter the glass. Add the cold water to the Calamansi and add some sugar or honey to make the taste just right. Mix it all together and finally add the ice cubes.
Ampalaya is a bitter gourd and a very common recipe in the everyday Filipino kitchen. The recipe described here is one of the healthiest recipes among the Filipino foods. Ingredients needed to prepare the Ampalaya recipe are:
- Ampalaya (bitter gourd)
- sliced onion
- garlic (pounded)
- sliced tomato
- 3 eggs (beated)
Instructions how to prepare Ampalaya na may Itlog – Bitter Gourd with Egg:
Start with slicing he ampalaya (bitter gourd) into half moons. You may put salt to reduce the bitterness of the Ampalaya. Leave the salt on the Ampalaya for several minutes and squeeze the juice out of the Ampalaya.
Put the Oil into a wok and heat it up. When it’s hot enough add the garlic and the sliced onion into the wok. make sure the garlic is golden brown then add the Ampalaya. Let the Ampalaya together with the Tomatos, Sliced Onion and garlic fry for several minutes then add the beated egg. Mix everything well together until the egg is is golden brown. To bring more taste to the recipe you can add some salt and pepper.
A popular salad among Filipinos is Ensaladang Pinoy (green salad). It is a variation of the garden salad and comes instead of Olive oil with Fish Sauce. The Flavor of the Fish sauce is giving the dish a typical Asian taste. It is an easy dish to prepare, doesn’t cost much and is easy to combine with other Filipino dishes on this website.
The ingredients needed for the Salad are listed below:
- One cup of Malunggay leaves
- One cup of kankong leaves
- Two medium tomatoes (sliced)
- One sliced cucumber
- One sliced small onion
- One singkamas, cut julienne
- A chopped Kinchay
The ingredients needed for the dressing are listed below:
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- ¼ tablespoon ground black pepper
Preparation of the salad dish:
Start by steaming the Kankong and malungay leaves and let them cool down after steaming them in the fridge. Place all the vegetables into a large salad bowl and use your hands to mix them. Combine the vegetables with the steamed leaves and place the dressing over the combination. Finally add the chopped kinchay and sliced egg on top before it is served.