One of the most famous Filipino Dishes is Bocol Express. The Filipino dish comes from Malate but made with Bicolano style. The Dish is origionally named after the Bicol passenger express train. There are lots of variants of Bicol Express from which we will descripe one of my favorite below.
Ingredients needed for Filipino Bicol Express:
- 1/2 kg pork, sliced or diced into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoon of bagoong (Shrimp Paste)
- 4 cloves Garlic, Crushes
- 6 to 8 pieces chili finger (Sliced)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 10 pieces beans (Baguio beans)
- salt and pepper, to add taste
Procedure for cooking Filipino Bicol Express:
Put the oil in a pan. At medium heat add the onion and garlic until the garlic is golden brown. Next you add the pieces of pork and cook it until it gets brown (about 6 or 8 minutes). Now you add the bagoong (shrimp paste) and the chili fingers and stir.
Next you add the coconut milk and the Baguio beans and you may add some salt or petter to add some taste. Mix everything together and let it simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. (until the pork is tender and sauce is thick)
The best way to serve is when it’s still hot.
Filipino Pancit Sotanghon Guisado is another variety of noodle dish which uses Sotanghon (vermicelli) as the main ingrediënt. This dish typically uses anato seeds or Achiote (achuete) for coloring purposes but since it’s hard to find in our area, if not unavailable, i decided not to include it in the list of ingredients.
Ingredients needed for Filipino Pancit Sotanghon Guisado Dish are::
- 1 klo. Vermicelli noodles
- 1 chicken cube
- 1 kilo chicken
- 1000 ml water
- virgin coconut oil or ordinary cooking oil
- 1 medium sized onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 pcs small-medium sized carrots (julliened)
- about 1 cup spring onions (chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp. fish sauce
- fried garlic (optional)
Procedures for cooking Filipino Pancit Sotanghon Guisado Dish:
- Put the chicken cube in the water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the chicken and let it simmer until it becomes soft enough to fall apart on its own. (about an hour).
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Set aside the broth for later use.
- Shred the chicken. Discard skin and bones. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan. Saute onion and garlic.
- Add the shredded chicken and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots and spring onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and the sotanghon noodles. Mix well while cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Lastly, garnish with some spring onions and fried garlic.
Ingredients needed for Filipino Grilled Tuna Panga (jaw) :
- 1/2 cup soy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (300 grams) tuna panga
Procedure for cooking Filipino Grilled Tuna Panga (jaw):
- Mix well sugar and soy sauce.
- Broil panga (jaw). Open it and spread the mixed soy sauce and sugar all over until cooked.
- Serve with buttered veggies.
Filipino Eggplant Caviar is a Filipino Dish typically served during special occasions. Its not a common dish but a healthy one! We want to thank the author for submitting this Filipino Dish. Thanks a lot for your post!!
Ingredients needed for the Filipino Eggplant Caviar are:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup onion finely sliced.
- 1 cup green bell pepper finely sliced.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 potato finely sliced.
Procedure to prepare Filipino Eggplant Caviar:
- Broil eggplant until roasted. make sure all parts of eggplant is roasted.
- Remove the skin of the broiled eggplant.
- scrape the eggplant and put it in a big bowl.
- throw away the eggplant skin.
- in a pan, saute onion, garlic until golden brown and the green pepper.
- add the scraped eggplant.
- add tomato.
- mix well to cook
- add oil if its sticky already.
- add salt and pepper to taste.
- put the cooked eggplant caviar in a serving dish.
Filipino Tortang Giniling na Baboy Recipe is a simple Filipino dish which is typically served during breakfast or lunch. The Dish as described below is the traditional way to cook it. You can however add other ingrediënts like vegetables. Your children won’t have a clue!
The main ingrediënts needed for the Filipino Tortang Giniling na Baboy Recipe are:
- Three cloves garlic, pounded finely
- One large red onion, minced finely
- 450 grams ground pork
- One big potato, skinned and chopped in cubes
- One tablespoon black pepper (ground)
- Two tablespoons of soy sauce
- six pieces of egg (beaten)
- Oil for cooking
Procedure to prepare Filipino Tortang Giniling na Baboy Recipe:
Start to saute the garlic until it is medium brown. Add the minced onions and potatoes. Add the ground pork after the potatoes are half cooked. You may add some salt and pepper to taste and wait until the pink of the meat if gone and the ground pork is tender. Put the mixture aside and let it cool down. Then add the the beaten eggs to the ground pork mixture and mix all ingredients together. Pour the mixture into a pan and fry it until the color of the egg is golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with a sauce like ketchup.
Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is a favorite Filipino dish among children especially cause of it’s sweet taste. Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is typically served during occasions like birthday parties, Christmas and other special occasions. Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is a fairly easy dish to cook and doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare.
The main ingrediënt needed for the Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad are:
- 250 grams of Elbow Macaroni
- One can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1.5 cups of drained nata de coco (coconut gel)
- One cup of Raisins
- 100 Grams of Cheddar Cheese
- One can of drained Pineapple (500 g)
- One can of drained Fruit Cocktail (500 g)
- One green apple (cubed)
Procedure to prepare Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad:
First bring some water to a cook and place the elbow Macaroni into the pan. Let it boil according to the directions on the package. When done drain the water and rinse the macaroni with cold water and let it cool down for about 20 minutes.
When the macaroni is done place it in a big bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.Mix all the combined ingredients very well and cover the bowl.
Finally place the covered bowl in the fridge for about an hour.
Lastly serve the Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad cold.
Crispy Pata is yet another traditional Filipino Dish made from fried pork legs. Pata which means Pork Feet in the Spanish language is quite popular due to it’s crispiness and delicious taste after dipping it in vinigar with soya sauce. Even it’s not a healthy Filipino Dish cause it’s high in cholesterol, people can’t resist the the delicious taste of the pork and it’s ease to eat.
The main ingrediënt needed for the Crispy Pata dish are:
- One pork leg (pata) with skin
- Four litres water for boiling
- Two tablespoons of salt
- Cooking Oil for frying
- Three bay leaves
- One red onion
- Three cloves garlic
- Two tablespoons of sugar
- Half cup of water
- One cup vinegar
- Quarter cup of soy sauce
- One tablespoon of black pepper (grinded)
First take the pork leg and boil it with two tablespoons of salt and bay leaves in four litres of water for about one hour until the pork is tender. When it’s done and the meat it tender enough let it drain/air dry for about three hours. Make sure the meat is really dry and all moisture is out of the meat!
Filipino Tortang Dulong or fried (silver) fish omelet is a traditional Filipino dish which is simple to make. Unlike other omelet dishes the Filipino Tortang Dulong uses dried fish as main ingrediënt.
The main ingrediënt needed for this dish are:
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- One Onion
- Cooking Oil
- 1lb Dulong (small fried fish “biya”)
- Magic sarap
- 4 eggs
Procedure to prepare Filipino Tortang Dulong:
First you need to mix the four eggs with a tablespoon of salt, some pepper and a bit of the Magic Sarap untill it’s well incorporated. Next you add the fried fish, chopped garlic and chopped onions into the mixture and mix it as well. When all is well incorporated you put the cooking oil into a frying pan until it heats up. Take a cup of the the mixture and pour it gently into the frying pan. Cook the mixture until it gets a golden brown color (about 4 minutes) en flip it to the other side till it’s golden brown as well. Place the Filipino Tortang Dulong on a plate and serve warm.
- one cup of glutininous rice (sweet rice) flour
- six saba, sliced
- three cups of coconut milk
- cup of water
- 100 g cooked sago pearls
- one camote (sweet potato), cubed
- half cup of white sugar
- one gabi (taro root), cubed
The procedure to prepare this dessert is:
- Mix the rice flour and the water together and blend them well using hands until it gets soft and dough like
- Make them into small balls and place them aside.
- Put the coconut milk in a pan, add some sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Next add the sliced saba, sago, camote gabi and flour balls. let the mix simmer on a reduced heat for another 15 minutes until the whole mixture is properly cooked. When finished place it in a bowl and serve it warm.
- 5 cups malunggay leaves
- 2 pcs pandan leaves
- 10 cups water
- 15 pcs calamansi
- sugar to taste